avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Summary] Avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:38:14 GMT
> So, are we all committed to making the upgrade gradual?

yes. And it is way off in the future. Thing is, we can start mentioning
the changes in the next 4.x release, but only if we know what they will
be, which is why it is good to lay all this on the table now.

> Will it be possible to deploy A4 component in an A5 environment
> wihout rewriting a single character of code?
>
> I think it must be.

in the CM case, that means:

- we cannot change the return value of CM.lookup() to Object
- we cannot remove CM.release()

this means we will have an avalon 5 container that will have to
determine whether it deals with an A4 or A5 component, and choose which
CM to use based on that.

This is possible only if we add some meta-information for components. So
while it means we will not have to rewrite code, we might have to
rewrite some meta-information.

Also, based on the requirments Berin listed for avalon 5, we will need
to use a different namespace (which is not a bad thing).

- Leo Simons