avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:17:43 GMT
> > Well, Cocoon is made to run on anything, given that the proper Environment
> > classes are coded.
> > Currently it sits on top of a servlet, but it's more of a hack that comes
> > out of necessity.
> > We use nothing of the servlet stuff, and the classloading tomcat does always
> > gives us headaches.
> >
> > Cocoon should really be a Phoenix server application, on the same level of
> > James, Tomcat, Turbine, etc...
> >
> > Since Avalon framework and Excalibur are basically Avalon-commons, they are
> > used at all levels: in phoenix, in server apps, in block, in classes, etc.
> >
> > This means that Turbine would sit on phoenix (and have a standard way of
> > using services), while keeping the ability of defining it's own components.
> > Phoenix would give Turbine all the services for free, and add admin
> > capability (in the works), that would be consistent across all Phoenix apps.
>
> While all of this sounds very nice, I know that myself and a number of
> other Turbine developers have a need to continue using Turbine as a
> standard servlet packed inside of a .war that we can drop into a servlet
> container.  As far as I can tell from this discussion so far, using
> Phoenix would no longer allow this to happen, or at least not in an
> elegant manner.  Am I just off base here?  Can Phoenix be bootstrapped
> from a servlet and be run that way?

yes, and yes.

The problem is that phoenix has a whole load of features with no
immediate benefit when used with Turbine, so there is little added
reason to use it, currently.

We are (well not me, but the avalon community) looking at making the
different containers more compatible. In the end, it should be possible
to use a container optimised for use in a servlet environment, one for
use within ant, one for standalone servers, etc etc.

Cool, not?

- Leo