avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:33:00 GMT
> > > Technically I think this is the best thing for Turbine, and hopefully it
> > > will start to close some of the rifts that have formed in Jakarta over
> > > the last couple of years.
> >
> > What can I say...
> >
> > I know that this is rushing things, but how bout Phoenix?
> > I don't want to rush anything, but I would really love to see turbine and
> > Velocity run in Phoenix.
>
> I was thinking Turbine would be a parallel to Cocoon. Does Cocoon not
> live at the Excalibur level?

Cocoon uses ECM (has it moved to something else yet?), which is on the
same "level" as phoenix.

Turbine would run in some kind of container. There's phoenix, merlin,
fortress, myrmidon and also ECM. We've decided we're not so fond of ECM,
btw.

> > It could be the killer application:
> > Install Phoenix, and then run Velocity, Turbine, Cocoon, James, Tomcat, etc
> > in it, benefiting from all the services it gives.
> >
> > Sometimes it's nice to dream...
>
> That's more possible than anything at this point. It's taken a long time
> to make the decision so I'm committed.

Jay!

The big thing that remains to be solved is that there's the concept of
an avalon container, and that of a servlet container, and how they
should live together remains to be seen.

I'm in favor of having the servlet container within an avalon container;
unfortunately the current jakarta servlet container doesn't work within
any avalon container, so the only option is to run the avalon container
within the servlet container.

> > Since you are at it, I would like to ask you one more thing.
> >
> > As you know, I have set up a project called Centipede as a spinoff from
> > Forrest and POI.
> > I have tried to get collaboration with Maven, but things went horribly
> > wrong.

Of all the places I can think of where this discussion should/could take
place, avalon-dev is definately not the most appropriate ;)

regards,

- Leo, who _really_, __really__ wants to see all this go forward