avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:17:54 GMT
On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 07:46, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> From: "Jason van Zyl" <jvanzyl@zenplex.com>
>
> > Just thought I would share some preliminary good news. Informally in IRC
> > we have decided that in Turbine land we will push as much of our bean
> > type code into the commons, drop our service and component packages and
> > use Avalon instead. Five of the core people have agreed, but I'm not
> > interested in rolling another component framework in straight Java (as
> > opposed to AspectJ) so I will push for Avalon's use. The last person I
> > have to convince is Jon :-) I will be posting something to the Turbine
> > list tomorrow but things look good so far. So if there's anyone who
> > wants to join in to possibly temper the discussion feel free.
>
> Jason, this is excellent news.

yeah! I deal with parts of both frameworks daily, where I usually fork
Turbine code to work with avalon...this is like a 300% productivity
boost for a lot of my daily work =)

> > Technically I think this is the best thing for Turbine, and hopefully it
> > will start to close some of the rifts that have formed in Jakarta over
> > the last couple of years.
>
> What can I say...
>
> I know that this is rushing things, but how bout Phoenix?
> I don't want to rush anything, but I would really love to see turbine and
> Velocity run in Phoenix.

Running velocity in Phoenix is very easy if you don't bother making it a
component. Just load the jar and call VelocityEngine. I do it a lot.

> It could be the killer application:
> Install Phoenix, and then run Velocity, Turbine, Cocoon, James, Tomcat, etc
> in it, benefiting from all the services it gives.
>
> Sometimes it's nice to dream...

We'll be there, sometime. You forget "run EOB, OpenEJB, HyperSQL, ..."
;)

- Leo