avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [Summary] Avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:21:34 GMT
> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
> Leo Sutic wrote:
> > Carsten,
> >
> > you are right - everything gets a little bit more complicated.
> >
> Yes, and this is the thing that worries me - I know a lot of
> people saying "Avalon is too complicated" and this makes it
> even a little bit more complicated,

Yes. We will lose users in droves. I know.

I still consider the final summary to be the best compromise
between the different standpoints. (I.e. I got the stuff that
I need in order for me to stay with Avalon.)

> And as a final argument against this is upgrading from 4.x to
> 5.0 which not only requires recompiling, but also recoding
> (ok, this is acceptable if there are only a few cases) but
> even using a different pattern.

Oh, you'll get a rewrite. However, before 5.0 is rolled out,
backward compatibility classes will exist.

I do think we still at least somewhat believe that
"common framework" (http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon) means
some kind of API stability.

So, are we all committed to making the upgrade gradual?

Will it be possible to deploy A4 component in an A5 environment
wihout rewriting a single character of code?

I think it must be.

/LS