avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [Avalon5] Startable interface
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 20:10:13 GMT
It seems that Peter already beat me putting a proposal Avalon 5
directory out there.  Quick question regarding the Startable
interface:

public interface Startable
{
    void start() throws Exception;
    void stop() throws Exception;
}

Is there any particular reason that start() and stop() require
exception throwing?  Wouldn't RuntimeExceptions (reported in the
javadocs so they are documented) be better?

Also, I thought that we were in favor of separating Intializable
and Disposable.  They aren't as tightly coupled as start()/stop()
or suspend()/resume().  Otherwise, there will be a lot of components
with either an empty initialize() or an empty dispose() method.

Thoughts?

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin