avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Avalon 5.0 directory
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:26:02 GMT
I would like to create a scratchpad area/version 5.0 proposal area in
Framework.  Would we be ammendable to start creating the 5.0 area?

I would like to include the CM we had the latest really long
conversation
about.  I think 99% of us are on the same page.

interface ComponentManager
{
    /** throws ComponentException */
    Object lookup( String role );

    /** throws ComponentException */
    Object lookup( String role, Object hint );

    boolean exists( String role );
    boolean exists( String role, Object hint );
}

That way we can have a look at and play with the interfaces until we
like them.

Also, I would like to make as many of the exceptions to be
RuntimeExceptions
as possible.  We should take a look at Stefano's concern for exception
throwing.

Version 5 should include the following:

* Clean room implementation--no deprecated methods/classes
* Unified CM/SM (i.e. the interface above)
* Simplified package name
   - org.apache.avalon.**** ?
   - org.apache.framework.**** ?
* Container abstraction
   - Meta data info
   - Possible interface to have DefaultComponentManager defer all
     lookups to the Container
* Standard for Version info, and how we plan on handling that.

How does this sound to everyone?

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin