avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Minor config change--ease of use
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:13:35 GMT
I would like to add one method to the Configuration object to help make
using it a bit easier--or at least DefaultConfiguration.  It is the
addition of a branch() method.  The purpose is to create a new branch
of the configuration tree with a new name.

The need came up with using a C++ version of the Config object, and I
have
a templating library that I am converting to a new format.  I believe it
will become useful when we move to Java.  The change is relatively
small,
and it does not have to alter the interface.  It can be a function of
the
DefaulatConfiguration object.

Configuration newBranch = config.branch("new-name");

I have a legacy template library that only captures a little bit of the
overall print page.  The printed strips have a header, and several
positions.
It needs to add in support for new strip types, and more controlled
placement
of elements.  As a first step, I converted the loading scheme to create
a Configuration hierarchy.

After I create the legacy Strip template, I have to replicate all the
information
into new child configurations that are essentially the same--with the
exception
that the root name is different.  Something along these lines:

Configuration family = processFamily(...);
Configuration strip = processStrip(...);

family.addChild(strip);
family.addChild(strip.branch("peg-strip"));
family.addChild(strip.branch("vert-peg-strip"));

This frees me from being forced to do a lot of otherwise complex logic
at this
level.

Do others think that this would be useful?

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin