avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject License Header.
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:15:47 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:01, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > The small license doesn't protect us effectively.
>
> Thats false.

The small license text *does* need to be modified.

/*
 * Copyright (C) The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is published under the terms of the Apache Software
License
 * version 1.1, a copy of which has been included with this distribution
in
 * the LICENSE.txt file.
 */

In order for me to be satisfied with the boiler plate, we either need
the
full license, or we need to update this text (making it a little
longer):

/*
 * Copyright (C) 2002 by The Apache Software Foundation.
 * All rights reserved.
 *
 * This software is licensed under the terms and conditions of the
Apache
 * Software License version 1.1.  A copy of the license has been
included
 * with this distribution in the LICENSE.txt file.  In the event that
you
 * did not receive this source code in a distribution, you may read the
 * license online at http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/license.html.
 *
 * This software is provided "AS IS", and the Apache Software Foundation
 * will not be held liable for its use or misuse.  Full disclosure is in
 * the afformentioned license.
 */

The key differences are:

1) Date.  Copyright law only protects you if you can prove prior art.
   The date is a critical piece of information to prove that point.

2) Instructions to find the license do not assume that the source was
   obtained as part of a distribution.  WebCVS, or sending the code
   via email pulls the source code from its original context.

3) Reminder of the limited liability clause in the license.

If we go to a short license, I highly recommend covering our butts with
the longer "short" version above.