avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:05:53 GMT
> From: Kurt Schrader [mailto:kschrader@karmalab.org]
>
> On 5 Jun 2002, Leo Simons wrote:
>
> > We are (well not me, but the avalon community) looking at
> making the
> > different containers more compatible. In the end, it should be
> > possible to use a container optimised for use in a servlet
> > environment, one for use within ant, one for standalone
> servers, etc
> > etc.
> >
> > Cool, not?
>
> +1 to that being cool, especially if the container interfaces are
> standardized in such a way to make moving apps between them
> easy. (Which they may well be, I haven't had time to look yet.)

If most of your work is with components, then there is not a lot
you have to do to switch containers.  The difference is how you
specify metadata.

Fortress, Phoenix, and Merlin opt for external files to tell the
Container how to treat the component.  ECM requires you to implement
marker interfaces, as well as have an external file to configure
it.

Most of your work will be in changing the metadata--not hard, but it
can be anoying at times.