avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Summary] Avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:14:00 GMT
> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> > So, are we all committed to making the upgrade gradual?
>
> yes. And it is way off in the future. Thing is, we can start
> mentioning the changes in the next 4.x release, but only if
> we know what they will be, which is why it is good to lay all
> this on the table now.
>
> > Will it be possible to deploy A4 component in an A5
> environment wihout
> > rewriting a single character of code?
> >
> > I think it must be.
>
> in the CM case, that means:
>
> - we cannot change the return value of CM.lookup() to Object
> - we cannot remove CM.release()

No, that means we provide a compatibility jar like Xalan did
for a long time for Xalan 1 compatibility.

> this means we will have an avalon 5 container that will have
> to determine whether it deals with an A4 or A5 component, and
> choose which CM to use based on that.
>
> This is possible only if we add some meta-information for
> components. So while it means we will not have to rewrite
> code, we might have to rewrite some meta-information.

Meta-info is easy to rewrite.  Just like Peter did for the
Avalon 3 to Avalon 4 migration, we should also provide a
script to change the imports and change Component to Object.
That way there is very little hand coding that has to occur
for migration of legacy components.