avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ContainerManager and Sub-containers
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:37:57 GMT
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > Lets see - I can think of two reasons ;)
>
> One reason will be enough - as long as it has to do with
> scalability, which was what you claimed was the problem. ;)
>
> Your first reason is a design decision - does a component
> manager manage resources, or is it a directory lookup? I go
> for the former, you go for the latter. The nice thing about
> Avalon, IMO, is that it isn't just a naming lookup - I have
> JNDI for that.

Design Decision:

THE Component Manager IS A LOOKUP MECHANISM. PERIOD.

The ECM is a HACK.  It has poluted the minds of all who use it
into thinking that there is no difference, or very little
difference between a lookup mechanism and a container!  The ECM
merged the two in a monolithic design, and it is a HACK.

ComponentManager == Lookup Mechanism
Container == resource management

DO NOT MIX THE TWO.

This is something that Peter and I agree on wholeheartedly.  It
is also the original vision of the CM.

JNDI == expensive lookup mechanism, complex to implement
CM == inexpensive lookup mechanism, easy to implement