avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Vote] User requirements for A5
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:42:33 GMT
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> That's a good question. If this has already been tried I am
> not aware of it.
>
> If nothing else, we wouldn't have to guess "what the users want".
>
> Now that we have a users list why not use it?
>
> How about posting this in avalon-users, and maybe cocoon-dev:

:)

So you think our glass walls could take it?

+1 with the following addendum:

Not only do we consider the user feedback seriously, but the
way we implement the requests needs to be with the best
interests in mind.

Example: marker interfaces are bad due to a number of reasons
already passed around on the list.  Meta Data is better.  They
both accomplish the same goal, but they represent different
ways to get at the information.

BTW, we should give a taste of the *good* things we have in
store.  Just by saying we have all kinds of good things in
store doesn't really help the user:

* We are defining container contracts better so that any component
  written to Avalon specs will run in any container.

* We are implementing a standard meta-data system to help
  ensure a secure environment, and allow complex component
  mappings.

What we *don't* pass on the list is anything where a user may
percieve loss of functionality (like the whole pooling issue).
The idea is to get feedback not hungry cannibles looking for
supple white meat.