avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:14:07 GMT
> From: Leo Sutic [mailto:leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com]
>
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > Same way as you deal with all resources. ie call close(),
> > release() etc.
>
> So can I assume that every component, or every XXXXManager
> has a close() or release() method?

Leo, before you go crazy down this road, not every XXXXManager
needs to work with pooled resources.  If that is one possibility,
then yes, it needs to provide an interface for for pooling.  However,
when you develop a component instance, or a processing artifact,
you work within the design constraints placed on you.

Consider EJBs--which are the epitome of monolithic design in a
component architecture.  There is no explicit release for a component,
yet the components are pooled.  The container is in absolute control
of the component.

The point is that it can be done, without an explicit release
mechanism.