avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:09:49 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> <attention mode="heretic">
> Component interface as a teg interface is useless and in some
> cases bad
> for reasons already expressed.
> But maybe we could make an abstrace SafeService that can act
> as a base
> class to extend to make a Service that can be created only by a
> Container: private method, creator method and check of proper
> order of
> interface calling.
> </attention>

What you are proposing would *require* a minimal definition of
a container in framework.  A generic container cannot access
private members of components unless it is a class enclosed
in itself.  Furthermore, a generic container cannot access
protected members (including constructors) unless they are in
the same package.

It's just not feasible.

> This is an implementation detail.
> Or you do Role,SubRole or "role/subrole".
> It's not a problem, but semantically there is a point in
> defining role
> and subrole.

In essence what the CM as I have defined it would do.  Just
change the Object for String, and the name hint for subrole,
and viola' you have what you are looking for.