avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Idea] Component Sessions...
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:02:44 GMT
> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> Basically, you need to be able to store a component State
> (session is a misnomer, I think). In avalon framework, a
> component State *should* be defined by
> Configuration+Parameters+Context+ComponentManager+Lifecycle
> stage, even though this is probably not the case for many
> components as this is not enforced.

<snip/>

Not what I was talking about.

I am referring to a component in its fully active phase.  It
can be used by different clients.  However, if the component
communication requires a certain order on calling methods,
then we should store enough information with the client (i.e.
session information) to be able to do its work.

One example is the Generator component.  While I think it should
be rethought, I can't do anything about it right now.  We do
something along these lines:

generator.setup(...);
generator.setContentHandler(...);
generator.execute();

The setup(...) would bind the necessary information (like the
input stream for the SAX events or request parameters, whatever)
to the session object.  The setContentHandler() would bind the
contenthandler to the session.

that way, if the component is reassigned because other resolving is
taking too long, we can safely resume where we left off.  The
information is no longer stored in the component, but in the session
object.  When the execute() is done, the session is cleared or
invalidated.

That is the purpose I was envisioning.