avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon and Turbine
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:59:30 GMT
From: "Jason van Zyl" <jvanzyl@zenplex.com>

> On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 09:42, Kurt Schrader wrote:
> >

> > While all of this sounds very nice, I know that myself and a number of
> > other Turbine developers have a need to continue using Turbine as a
> > standard servlet packed inside of a .war that we can drop into a servlet
> > container.  As far as I can tell from this discussion so far, using
> > Phoenix would no longer allow this to happen, or at least not in an
> > elegant manner.  Am I just off base here?  Can Phoenix be bootstrapped
> > from a servlet and be run that way?
>
> I believe that Cocoon does exactly this: that you can drop a WAR file
> containing a Cocoon application into a servlet container and it works.
> So we could borrow their model for doing this.

Or fix the Cocoon model ;-)
I don't like the way Cocoon is currently running as a Servlet, and I don't
like the fact that if I use Phoenix I cannot easily use Tomcat instead.

IMO you are right, we need a way of running our server apps on Phoenix or on
Tomcat.
Cocoon has this need too; sometimes I really wish I had only Phoenix, but
when a customer is using a J2EE container, you cannot just make him change
it all.

Peter Donald, do you have any idea on how this can be done in practice?
What I basically want is converter .sar -> .war.

Maybe an ant task that puts phoenix+the .sar in a .war?
(Doesn't seem to hard to write)

> I'm sure we'll have several approaches. I'm more interested in
> integrating Avalon and EJB, because I have to, and I like the "life is
> in the container" approach but we can certainly make both approaches
> work.

+1

            - verba volant, scripta manent -