avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:03:44 GMT

> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]

> 1 - don't allow for hints
> 2 - allow for hints, but also allow for them to be ignored
> 3 - require support for an object part in the CM lookup
> (where "hint is an improper term as it is not optional)
> 4 - create a Role class/object that also has support for hints

2 is the way to go. An application should be structured so that
processing can continue if the hint is ignored. If not, then
the hint is really part of the role.

Cocoon, for example: You want a transformer for a given output
type (say, Imode). There's no such transformer available, so you
get a HTML transformer (the component selector is smart). No
problem.

As for the SSL/non-SSL case, as processing can *not* continue if
the hint is ignored (due to security reasons), the "SSL" part is
not a hint.

I think hints are used in many places where a mapping of roles
specific for each component should be used instead (as I have
repeatedly outlined but not implemented).

/LS