avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject [A5] Activity Package
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:27:01 GMT
This houses the Initializable, Startable, and Resumable interfaces.

I'm pretty happy with it, but we should consider a couple of points:

1) are Initializable and Disposable separate concerns?  If so we should
   split the interface.  If not, then we will leave it alone
2) We have determined that start() and stop() apply to the same concern
   of an active component.  We should explicitly state that the
Startable
   interface is designed to let an active component know when they can
   start background execution threads and when to stop them safely.
   We should also state as a contract that stop()ing a component
   MUST NOT FAIL!  This preculdes the necessity of an exception at this
   point.  It also makes it the responsibility of the component to clean
   up any expensive resources like threads and sockets successfully.
   - The container has no way of nowing what system resources a
component
     takes if they are not retrieved from other components.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin