avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [proposal] avalon 5 ComponentManager interface
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 14:40:35 GMT
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>
> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
> > A lookup failing is an exceptional
> > case, and should be treated as such.
>
> I think this is the key issuse here.
>
> Example, I might change the behavior of a component, if
> another component it requires is missing (this happens in
> Cocoon a lot)
>
> This is *not* an exceptional case, but a straightforward
> programming flow.

Stefano,

what you are saying is that breaking one component's dependencies
is not exceptional. I say it is. Whether that is exceptional in the
context of the whole application (i.e. Cocoon tries to start all
components and just lets some of them explode due to failed
dependencies) is not the issue here - for the individual component
it is *very* exceptional that the contract between it and the container
has been broken (not all dependencies exist).

/LS