avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gonzalo A. Diethelm" <gonzalo.dieth...@aditiva.com>
Subject LogKit and log4j
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 15:49:55 GMT
Hello, I'm just back from a long trip and trying to catch up with
past Avalon messages (430 queued up), specially on the Avalon+EJB
issue. I do have an unrelated question, though. I believe LogKit
is an effort to have a logging system as generic and configurable
as possible; I understand you can choose to use LogKit with log4j
as your "back-end" logging implementation. On the other hand,
log4j also provides an abstraction for logging that's supposed
to be very generic and configurable.

Question: which one should I use for a new project? Since log4j
provides (I believe, but I could be wrong) everything LogKit does,
and in addition it is a Jakarta project, is LogKit going the way
of the dodo? Is there any benefit in still using LogKit?

Thanks,

--
Gonzalo A. Diethelm
gonzalo.diethelm@aditiva.com