avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TPCThreadManager exceptions
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 20:10:14 GMT
On Thursday 30 May 2002 03:57 pm, Clover, James wrote:
> I think I'm confusing the "runtime exceptions in PipelineRunner" issue with
> the "Could not create enough Components to service your request in
> TPCThreadManager" issue.
>
> Are these different?  And is the "Could not create enough Components" issue
> solved in the latest CVS?

Yes, they are different. Before, a RuntimeException in the PipelineRunner
would bring down processing of all pipelines. That is changed in CVS so that
runtime exceptions throws during pipeline processing are logged and do not
bring the thread down.

The "could not create components" error is not specifically fixed in CVS.
That error will occur if the amount of time to process a pipeline is longer
than the interval that the system processes the pipeline *AND* you do not
have any free threads. Possible solutions are:

a) increase thread pool size
b) increase wait between pipeline processing attempts (currently 1sec)
c) increase wait time for a free thread (currently 1 sec)

I hope that makes (more) sense :)
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org