avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Bulbuk <Ole.Bul...@ebp.de>
Subject AW: AW: AW: [OT] Jakarta: keeping track of it all
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 14:00:00 GMT
> I don't get it. "Everything that is reusable should be in
> Commons". Not
> a very practical goal, is it? It'd make SourceForge a lot smaller...

Not everything that is reusable of course. But maybe everything that is ment
to be used in almost any class/component/...
I call these packages usually horizontal packages. If you decide to use them
for an existing project you would have to rewrite it almost completely.
If such a horizontal package is big enough to be an own project it should do
so (e.g. log4j) and these projects would like to depend only on the
"commons" project.

More vertical packages that can be used reasonably in a little part of a
project would sit on top of the horizontal ones.

So it would give clear hierarchy and things could be easier to find.

Just my thoughts,

Ole
--
Ole Bulbuk              Tel.:   0331/74759/60
Ernst Basler + Partner  Fax:    0331/74759/90