avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] build process (for documentation)
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 11:56:00 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for moving forward with this. I guess the direction you decide to go
with this is largely up to yourself. However my basic requirements that we
don't have any cross-repository dependencies. I have spent several hours
fixing subtle problems that appeared because phoenix and the tools in
jakarta-avalon/tools got out of sinc.

To avoid all these time wasting exercises I would prefer that only released
versions of the products are used and that they are not stored in CVS. If you
are worried about usability then chuck some <get/> tasks in that download the
libraries if they are not already present or whatever.

As to maven vs centipede. Use what you feel is best. I have had bad
experiences playing with maven from usability perspective but I think it is
definetly going to get better overtime. Centipede worked out of the box and
sorta gels more with my idea of how it should be done (and where I want Ant2
to go) but it had zero docs last time I checked so I feared looking into it.
In the end use what you feel is best.

As for docs - again, make sure you use released products and I will be all
good. If truth be told I would prefer to just use simple XSLT transforms -
mainly as of jdk1.4+ there will be xslt included in JVM and that will be one
less dependency we need to worry about. But I am happy with whatever you use.

Anyways it may be best to test run  it on one of the smaller repositories so
that the rest of us can see the effects and what it will end up looking like.
(Maybe LogKit or testlet ? - though testelt is deprecated).

Anyways thanks again.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald