avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Jakarta: keeping track of it all
Date Fri, 03 May 2002 11:27:28 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 2002 22:13, Pete Carapetyan wrote:
> There is only one person that gains from code that isn't componentized,
> and that is the author. Ego drives open source, and pride is it's
> currency. This is how it should be, but for everyone else, PITA.

true. However the more successful projects do a single thing well while the
"everything + kitchen sink" projects rarely make it big. If they do it is
after several years of development.

> My 2c: You guys don't know how cool it is what you got. If it ever hit
> you what the possibilities were, and all Apache projects were
> componentized as a first step, you would be overwhelmed with the
> potential, and so would the rest of Apache. Why isn't Struts Avalonized?
> etc. Duplication? It would be hard NOT to resolve the duplication
> problems if Apache was Avalonized, because when you got to duplicate
> functionality, there would be this elephant in the living room that had
> to be dealt with before moving on. So MUCH duplication. Hell, it's not
> duplication, it's out and out competition. My thing is better than your
> thing.

Some of the duplication exists due to ignorance, some due to competition and
some because external projects were brought in that

> If only I could figure out whether the JBOSS approach of JMX and hot
> pluggability, or the Avalon approach was the better of the two. Or is
> this another case of un-necessary confusion on my part? If so, there
> seems to be a lot of that going around.

I think both approaches are useful but at different granularities. JMX is
primarily aimed at management side of things however JBoss uses it as a sorta
service kernel aswell. I kinda like that approach for large grain services
but I still happen to think that Avalons better for fine-grain components.

ie I would use Avalon to build a mail server but I would use JMX to turn that
mail server on/off or link it to a webserver or whatever.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald