avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon questions, extending and best practices
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 23:16:28 GMT
Hi,

> > First, I just extended DefaultConfigurationBuilder and
> > SAXConfigurationHandler to handle my custom Configuration class
> > (SampleResult).  It was easy to do, but you might want to look into
> > making SAXConfigurationHandler more supportive of extending.  It's
> > members are private, and there are no protected getXXX() methods to allow
> > inheritors access to those members.  So, in order to extend it, I simply
> > copied and pasted all of it's code into my class, and then modified what
> > I needed to (which was very little). But that's not ideal.
> >
> :) Ok.
>
> I am copying the Avalon list, so that they can have the benefit of this
> conversation.  This way they can see it as a legit user need as opposed
> to a "It would be nice if...".

Just FYI I once tried to subclass Configuration to still use all the standard
framework classes to build it but found the design painful. I would recomend
that instead you create your own object model that is specific to your
application. It takes a little more upfront work but pays off in long term.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald