avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-avalon-excalibur/io build.xml default.properties
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 12:30:36 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, 1 May 2002 21:57, Jeff Turner wrote:
> Now would be a good time to voice any opinions on these dist targets,
> before I replicate them across 30 projects..

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but one thing I would really consider
looking into is to dynamically generating the buildfiles. What do I mean?

Over in myrmidon each project has a project.xml that is a stripped descriptor
partway between mavens descriptor and centipedes module.xml - we then apply a
XSL stylesheet to generate the "real" build file. The nice thing about this
is that it is easy to add or remove something from all the sub-projects or
convert them to a new build system or whatever.

Considering we may (are?) going to move to a new build system for
documentation that will require significant restructuring - it may be a good
time to do it now.

If you want have a look at

jakarta-ant-myrmidon/build.xml (driver script)
jakarta-ant-myrmidon/container/project.xml (project descriptor)
jakarta-ant-myrmidon/tools/xsl/build.xsl (styleshet)

We could then use that to generate all the required infrastructure for the
centipede build when we change with minimal impact on anyone. In the long
term we may even be able to "inline" the targets from cents which would be a
really kool thing. That way our end users would still be using regular build
files (and thus no need to worry about these extra build tools) but we get to
use centipede or whatever.

BTW I just uploaded a JarLibResolver task to ant1.5 branch that is based on
your dependencies script (I added you as an author as I basically copied your
script into code). I would love for you to have a look at it and make sure it
works for you and that there is no hidden uglies in it or things I have
forgotten.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald