avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [OT] Jakarta: keeping track of it all
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 13:01:26 GMT
> AFAIK it all only about some avalon interfaces. If this is such a central
> point (and it really seems to be) why doesn't someone start a small commons
> project that simply puts these interfaces into a commons package.
> Since it is inside *commons* then every jakarta projekt should be able to
> use them. Of course not everybody wants to use a server, ...

"only about some avalon interfaces". It took several years to get those
hammered out that way. There's about 200 pages of docs on our website
describing why they interfaces are the way they are.

It is _the_ central point, it is half of the added value avalon has as a
project.

It is a small thing in terms of code. It is *huge* in terms of thought
and man hours. You can express the contents of the "Design Patterns"
book in about 30 interfaces and as much default impls of those
interfaces. However, the book doesn't really belong inside a commons
package either.

Every jakarta project is able to use Avalon Framework. the dependency is
captured in a single jar file, which is a stable release, which has been
a stable release for a long time, which doesn't impact project size very
much, etc etc etc.

cheers,

- Leo, shaking head