avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert McIntosh" <rob...@browsersoft.com>
Subject DataSource usage
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 17:19:24 GMT
Let me preface by saying that I started using Avalon and some of
Excalibur at the core of our product (eQ!) and I've managed to convince
the powers that be to use it throughout the product. Having said/plugged
that, I have a question about the datasource component, and a minor
documentation question.

I am curious about the features of the Excalibur datasource component in
comparison to what is going on in the Commons DBCP project. We are
currently using PoolMan as our pooling mechanism as it seemed highly
recommended on the Struts list, but it is no longer supported by the
author, so we are looking for possible alternatives. Since there isn't
much documentation on the website, I am wondering about some of its
features and capabilities. Namely, does it have caching of
PreparedStatements, caching of ResultSets, etc.
To be honest, I would rather use Excalibur's since it would incorporate
nicely into what we are doing :-)

On the documentation, I realize that docs are always behind the product
(I know ours is!), but what might be nice, is perhaps in the JavaDocs(?)
have a snippet of what the config file should look like for the
component in question. I noticed that the InformixDataSource has this,
and it is very handy. Yes I know I can look through the source and
figure it all out, but the docs might be nicer. I also realize that it
is a bit of an undertaking to do so, but it is just a suggestion!

Thanks a bunch,
Robert McIntosh
robert@browsersoft.com