avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Uprising: Next Centipede Beta Features are... (was Re: [VOTE] making ant an external dependency)
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 15:10:17 GMT
From: "David BERNARD" <dwayne@freesurf.fr>

> Hi,
>
> > How should projects be managed-used-installed?
>
> > There are different proponents:
> > 1. Install 1 Ant, and every call every project build file with that.
> > You have only 1 and, but it's a bit more difficult to set up, and you
need
> > to have the correct version.
> > 2. Every project has his own Ant.
> > Easy to use, a nightmare to manage for people that have 20 projects.
> >
> > Now, implementations collide, needs never do (hehehe, my implicit bottom
> > line).
> >
> > 1. The need is to have only 1 copy of every jar.
> > 2. The need is to have one-click build.
> >
> > The solution: Don't keep Ant in the repos and have a system that manages
the
> > tedious stuff for you.
>
> I follow your discussion, and for my company have define de dev-pack
> centric ANT : "alchim". The goals are similar to centipede, but we have
> do the choice to externalize the maximum of build component.
>
> Each install of alchim contains scripts ant those script define
> enviromnent variables like JAVA_HOME, ANT_HOME, HOME, user.home... And
> when we start a terminal/dos-console we type :
> $j.sh [or j.bat]
>
> to define the default java developpement environment.
> In that way we can have multiple "alchim" and no need to include ant and
> needed task-jar (JUnit...) in each project.

I've downloaded it, yes.

> each project can have a ./tools directory to add others task, bin, lib,
> xsl...

Yes, each Centipede project can make it's own .cent and use that.
Just make a dir in /tools/cents called thenameIwant.cent, put the tasks in
tasks.properties, the libs in thenameIwant.cent/libs, the xbuild.xml sub
build file and you're done.

Then do "build jar-cent" and you can redistribute it!  :-D

> If you want to take a look at alchim you can download a draf from
> http://www.dwayne.freesurf.fr/download/pub/alchim-20020228.tar.gz
>
> but I think merge it with centipede, maven...

I downloaded it, and it gave me a better understanding of what is needed.

So, let me get this clear:
Due to popolar uprising ;-) next beta will have:

-Single Centipede indstallation
-Cent versioning
-jar download and versioning
-centipede script
-Centipede and project Installer
-Centipede updater
-webapp target
-optional directories
-Cent validation and default classpaths and works dirs given
-make Automagic cent not break SOC (how?)
-remove Antipede init entity (how?)

I would drop the Ant 1.4.1 for now, since I assume that all will upgrade to
1.5 quite soon, and 1.5 has many new features I need and would be a PITA to
keep out.

> A other difference with centipede is separation between the tools
> section and the templates directory/files.
> So I can use the tools section with any ANT project.

Centipede has this too.
You can use the tasks defined in tasks.properties in any build file...

Ok then, adding to list:
-make a private-only taskdefs section for each cent
-make a template builder
-make a descriptors' editor.

Other suggestions?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -