avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: ContainerManager and Sub-containers
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 07:06:55 GMT
> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> > The config method is a function of the container you
> create. Fortress
> > is a way to make container manufacturing easier. Once the
> meta info is
> > set up, we can fix config changes.
> >
> > What I would really like to see is that the component layout has a
> > config child for each component--and use meta info to assemble the
> > actual mapping.
>
> +1. Same pattern used in SOAP and similar tech, no? Works pretty well
> there...

Meta-info here being info attached to the component, much like
deployment descriptors for EJB, or the web.xml for webapps, right?

I do not see how component-specific metainfo can be used to put together
the mapping without changing the metainfo depending on the desired
configuration. As I want it, the metainfo is just metainfo about the
component,
not configuration. That is, while web.xml currently contains
<servlet-mapping/>, which
maps a servlet to a URL, I would not want that in the component
metainfo, as
it would spread the configuration all over the system.

Berin,

so what you propose is something like this:

 <component role="A" ...>
   <role-mapping from="B" to="B/A"/>
 </component>

 <component role="C" ...>
   <role-mapping from="B" to="B/C"/>
 </component>

 <component role="B/A" .../>

 <component role="B/C" .../>

So that when A looks up B, it gets B/A, and when C looks up B it gets
B/C.

That would be excellent for components that play multiple roles - right
now it is difficult to map two roles to one component (without having
two instances
of the component).

/LS