avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: ContainerUtil
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 13:19:15 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:48, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > I looked at it, and you have the shutdown() method.
> > What about a startup() method(s)?
> >
> > something like this:
> >
> > startup(Object comp, Logger log, ComponentManager manager,
> > Configuration conf); startup(Object comp, Logger log,
> ServiceManager
> > manager, Configuration conf);
> > startup(Object comp, Logger log, ComponentManager manager,
> Parameters
> > param);
> > startup(Object comp, Logger log, ServiceManager manager, Parameters
> > param);
>
> I used to have this originally but took it out because the
> permutations got
> large or else you ended up having a very large set of
> parameters. In short it
> was ugly, consider
>
> * Loggable vs LogEnabled
> * ServiceManager vs ComponentManager
> * Configuration vs Parameters
> * Context or not
> etc

Understandable.  And then you would have to do InstanceOf checks
just to figure out what is going on anyway....

> I am working on something that should help in this area
> though. I am still in
> play mode atm but basically I am using Myrmidon, Fortress and
> Phoenix as my
> testcases to see if it is simple/general enough.

Sounds good.  The ContainerUtil is a step forward.

IF you are planning on placing it in Framework under the
container package, we might want to consider placing
ComponentStateValidator there as well.  That will help
validate the container is calling the methods in the
correct order--as well as ensure that the component has
a valid set of components.