avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] making ant an external dependency
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 13:13:33 GMT

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]

> > ----
> > A setup.jar jar in every CVS that  installs Ant and Centipede
> > scripts if needed.
>
> I like this approach the best.  The problem with the CVS
> approach is that not all users have CVS, or can access it
> through a firewall.  The setup.jar needs to be able to use
> HTTP and/or FTP to get the necessary jars.

If the project website is published automatically via a script, would
it make sense to put the required jars on the website as part of the
publishing process? That would make them accessible, at least.

I am a bit against a GUI installer for Ant. Project X may need version
1.x of Ant, project Y version 1.y. And I have version 1.z installed.
A solution that auto-downloads whatever is needed to build the project
is the ideal for me: Just type "build", hit enter and come back in ten
minutes.

> I think I just saw two trailer park girls go 'round the outside,
> 'round the outside, 'round the outside.

Guess it's a Jeff Turner in all of us
**** it let's all stand up...

(Wait... no... that's not the same song.)

/LS