avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] future standard for Excalibur package naming
Date Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:07:14 GMT

> From: Leo Simons [mailto:leosimons@apache.org]
>
> Proposal 1: package naming for 4.x
> ----------------------------------
>
> We adopt a system where packages contain a default
> implementation, and nothing more, where the default
> implementation is the first. The default
> implementation classes use a prefix of "Default".
> Subsequent implementations go into subpackages of that
> package. A descriptive name for the subpackage is
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^
Make that "package or subpackage".

> chosen if this is practical, otherwise we use a
> nondescriptive name.
>
> This is done for new and unreleased components,
> and for released components when feasible.
>
> ie:
>
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.${package}.Default${packageImpl}
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.${package}.${alternative}.${Alternativ
> e}${packag
> eImpl}
>
> example:
>
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentManager
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.caching.CachingComponentManager
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.dagger.DaggerComponentManager
>
> Note: alternatives to "Default" could be "Standard" or
> "Excalibur". However, I feel "Default" is most descriptive.
> Also, "Excalibur" to me implies that this is _the_
> component provided by excalibur implementing a specific
> interface, instead of _a_ component.
>

> Proposal 2: package naming for 5.x
> ----------------------------------
>
> As above, but without the "avalon" in the package
> name, and for all components, released and unreleased.
>
> ie:
>
> org.apache.excalibur.${package}.Default${packageImpl}
> org.apache.excalibur.${package}.${alternative}.${Alternative}${pac
> kageImpl}
>
> example:
>
> org.apache.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentManager
> org.apache.excalibur.component.caching.CachingComponentManager
> org.apache.excalibur.component.dagger.DaggerComponentManager

Exceptions are handled via standard +3/-0 concensus voting.

> regards,
>
> - Leo

+1, but only with modifications as given.

I further propose this voting is extended until Monday, at least
1200 GMT, even if we get +3 before that so that it is not something
that slipped past during the weekend.

/LS