avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [Bug?]: ExcaliburComponentManager ignoring Exceptions
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:10:11 GMT
Hi,

it just took me days to find a problem in my application, because of
this code in lookup method of the ExcaliburComponentManager:

            if( m_parentManager != null )
            {
                try
                {
                    return m_parentManager.lookup( role );
                }
                catch( Exception e )
                {
                    // ignore.  If the exception is thrown, we try to
                    // create the component next
                }
            }

If I have a hierarchy of CMs and an exception occurs in the parent
CM this is silently ignored and later on in the lookup method an
exception with the message "component not found" is generated.

If I have a bug in my component which is correctly found by the
parent CM but unfortunately throws a NPE in the compose() method,
I will never get aware of this.

Why isn't the exception rethrown? Can we change this?

Carsten