avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject Re: ExcaliburComponentManager.setLogKitManager
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:17:40 GMT
On Monday 15 April 2002 03:12 pm, Gregory Steuck wrote:
> Looking at current excalibur tree I noticed
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated all
> over. Doesn't this essentially make ExcaliburComponentManager manager
> deprecated as well? I know it is meant to be phased out by fortress,

deprecation by proxy? sure! the ExcaliburComponentManager is still heavily
used though.

> The reason for this question is my intention to use current excalibur
> CVS code (I like command and event packages). Yet I want to use
> ExcaliburComponentManager due to mind inertia (just can't get the
> fortress way through my head) Am I trying to do something I shouldn't
> be doing?

No, the ExcaliburComponentManager will be around for some time to come. It is
stable and works very well. It might be worth looking a little harder at
fortress though. I built a simple container over the weekend just by
following the test that is provided in the package. Its a little different in
the setup and roles file, but altogether not that bad.
-pete