avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject Re: [altrmi] usage questions
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:19:29 GMT
On Friday 12 April 2002 08:46 am, Paul Hammant wrote:
> You make a choice as to where the generated proxies are.
>
> They can be server side or client side (good for sandbox applets which
> can't make classloaders).
>
> For the server side ones, choose a ClassRetreiver and setClassRetriever()
> on the server.  Look in test package for options.  Yes, this is different
> to RMI.

I found that piece.

Say I had a method in an RMI server:

void doStuff(MyInterface mi) throws RemoteException;

And the client had a class (MyInterface is on both client and server)

class MySpecialClass implements MyInterface, Serializable {}

Under java RMI, I could pass MySpecialClass to doStuff() without having
MySpecialClass in the RMI server's classpath. With altrmi, MySpecialClass has
to be in both the client and server classloaders. I'm not sure what java RMI
does differently, but something :)
-pete