avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Bulbuk <Ole.Bul...@ebp.de>
Subject AW: Do you *really* not need localized exceptions?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:55:18 GMT
Stephen,

thank you for you support and Berin, thank you for the translation. :-))

> An observation: it is
> perhaps better
> to do the establishment of internationalization of the
> message directly
> in the classes CascadingException and CascadingRuntimeException. This
> fact I agree in general with your proposal.

Putting internationalization directly into CascadingException would force
internationalization on everybody and could break the interface (a
constructor taking a String wouldn't make sense). That is why I suggested an
additional base exception that extends CascadingException.

RuntimeExceptions are to be read only by developers. So they could write the
message in any language they like. Of course they should take into account
other developers too. But they needn't consider administrators or users. So
I don't know a reason to make an internationalized version of
CascadingRuntimeException.

If something as bad as an Error occurs IMHO nobody will bother about i18n
(since this could produce further exceptions and errors). So making an
internationalized version of CascadingError could be a waste of time too.

Regards,

Ole
--
Ole Bulbuk              Tel.:   0331/74759/60
Ernst Basler + Partner  Fax:    0331/74759/90