avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Bulbuk <Ole.Bul...@ebp.de>
Subject Do you *really* not need localized exceptions?
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:40:27 GMT
Hi,

I have noticed that there exists a package org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n
that supports internationalization/localization. So I suppose somebody is
using it. The thing I usually need most on the server side is localized
exceptions since they might be shown to the user (e. g. in a message box) on
the client side. And I don't really like to ignore this like Sun and all the
others who just create exceptions with hard coded (english text) strings.
Even M$ doesn't bother a user with english error messages on a german
Windows. And I really don't want to be under the standard of M$. So I really
would like to solve this problem and I suppose the problem is common enough
for the solution to be provided somewhere under the avalon umbrella.

I usually create an abstract base I18nException/L7dException for this, that
is
really returning a localized message when getLocalizedMessage() is called.
It could/should extend CascadingException and provide something like the
following constructors:

1. I18nException(Object hint, Serializable[] params, Throwable cause)
2. I18nException(Serializable[] params, Throwable cause)
3. I18nException(Serializable[] params)
4. I18nException(Object hint, Serializable[] params)

The hint would help in finding the right format string (added to the FCQN of
the exception) from a excalibur.i18n.Resources. Implementations would
provide static format strings for the getMessage() method or if the
resources aren't found. So there shouldn't be any performance issues when
getLocalizedMessage() isn't used.

The params are used as the arguments array to MessageFormat.format() and the
cause is of course used for the CascadingException.

I would be willing to provide such an exception class if desired.
I suppose it would be best to have it in the
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n package since people who don't care about
i18n won't make use of it anyway.

Otherwise I will put it in a EBP (company) package if you aren't interested.
Getting it out later will be more difficult since people here might think I
stole it from the company.

Of course it would be nice to be able to configure the logging mechanism to
use the getLocalizedMessage() method. So the system administrator will get
messages he is able to understand (logging the name of the exception, the
hint and the params might be even better if the log file is read via a
special application, so a german administrator is able to administrate a
server located in Japan).

Regards,

Ole

P.S.: Sorry for the eye-catching style but my last message regarding this
      subject was ignored?
--
Ole Bulbuk              Tel.:   0331/74759/60
Ernst Basler + Partner  Fax:    0331/74759/90