avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Event Notifier
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:58:50 GMT
Jonas Van Poucke wrote:
> Hi,
> I have had a look at the scratchpad in Avalon (BTW, I looove Avalon, in
> particular the Framework and Excalibur). I looked closer at the Event sub
> project. I think it is not bad, but it differs slightly from what I had in mind
> for my own projects. I implemented an Event Notifier framework that relies on
> the pattern described by Drala Software and combined it with the Avalon
> Framework and Excalibur (component and role manager). So my suggestion is to
> have a look at the Drala document, I in case you like it, I might send you my
> Event Notifier code (quite robust already, but needs peer reviewing) for
> release as open source code.
>
> Drala: http://www.dralasoft.com/products/eventbroker/paper/index.html

Thank you for your encouraging words.

THe Excalibur Event package is based on Matt Welsh's work with the
Staged Event Driven Architecure (SEDA).  In essence, it is built for
linear processing of events:

SOURCE -> pipeline -> STAGE -> pipeline -> STAGE -> pipeline -> SINK

It allows the server to choose different thread management techniques
to service this type of pipeline.  Your vision could easily be built
on top of the Event package.  The type of "Event Broker" that the paper
describes is very similar to Java Messaging Service.  However, it could
be on a lower level.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin