avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Laura Dean <laura_d...@oryxa.com>
Subject SAXConfigurationHandler.characters
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:31:47 GMT
Why is trimming done in characters() rather than endElement()?  (This is a
response to the problems with whitespace in general, and not a response to
Greg's question or patch.)  Just because XML *allows* some whitespace to be
ignored, doesn't mean it should be done in such an unpredictable way.  (I'll
concede that it is probably predictable by counting characters, but this fact is
not obvious to someone who hasn't read parts of the code, or possibly some
spec/API I haven't read.)

For Greg's question about having a special attribute set, see the xml:space
attribute described in the XML spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-white-space ... at least, that's the most
recent spec I could find.  I am assuming that our SAXConfigurationHandler is the
"application" as described in that document, even though it feels like a
processor from my end. :)

Anyway, if there's a standard hint, might as well use it.

To address the issue raised in my first paragraph, I made the modification shown
in the attached diff.  That said, I suspect I don't know the code well enough to
know whether it's an appropriate change.

Laura
an xml newbie who recently learned how to use jswat (guess why? :)