avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (Excalibur)ComponentManager extending AbstractLogEnabled
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:33:50 GMT
Ole Bulbuk wrote:
> Hi (not only) Berin,
>
> I understand that ECM is extending AbstractLoggable for compatibility
> reasons. I suppose it will be replaced one day by something that is
> extending AbstractLogEnabled instead. In order to to be able to use
> something else than LogKit it would be nice to have an
> (Excalibur)ComponentManager that is extending AbstractLogEnabled.
> The server I am developing consists mainly of a package with all the
> algorithms, etc. Of course this package is logging quite a lot. But this
> package should be reusable in other applications and servers that might not
> use LogKit. And of course it would be nice for the user to edit only one
> configuration file and to watch only one log file. So it would be very nice
> for me if there would exist something like ECM that extends
> AbstractLogEnabled.
>
> Any thoughts?

To remind everyone:  The ECM has to be backwards compatible with
components that use the Loggable interface.  THERE IS NO WAY TO GET
THE LOGKIT LOGGER FROM THE FRAMEWORK LOGGER WRAPPER.  If you think
there still might be a way, reread that last sentence.

If you want a new "ECM" compatible container, that does not have to
deal with backward incompatibilities, then by all means create one.
It just can't be the ExcaliburComponentManager.  New entities have
new contracts.

If you don't have *any* components that use Loggable, and they have
all been converted to LogEnabled, then you can either use fortress
which has some fine-tuning or create an equiv. to the ECM.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin