avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: deprecated api (ExcaliburComponentManager????)
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:00:31 GMT
Ole Bulbuk wrote:

>>But in a "release", there are again incoherence :
>>- incoherence between documentation and released api,
>>- from scratch application need to use deprecated classes or methods
>>like ECM.
>

>>>ExcaliburComponentManager and friends are *not* deprecated.
>>>Using them will definitely cause deprecation warnings in
>>
>>the interim,
>>
>>>but that is the price to pay for backwards compatibility.
>>

> The ExcaliburComponentManager will is going to be deprecated???

Yes, but not yet.

> I thought the standard ComponentManager should be deprecated and Phoenix was
> still using it for some reason.

The standard/default will never be deprecated.  It only allows you to
have references to ThreadSafe components (one instance per role).  It is
very limited in that respect.

> Is there a new component manager that provides roles, hints, etc ???
> I just went through great pain to use the standard ComponentManager I got
> from Phoenix only for blocks and to use the ExcaliburComponentManager for
> all the components inside the block.

I am working on it.  It separates the container from the CM (unlike the
ECM).

Don't worry about that right now.  Your work will still pay off.  The
new version will have the same configurations roles, etc.  I have had to
stop work on it temporarily due to heavy work load.

Even then, they will both be choices.

> The ExcaliburComponentManager is used all the time in the white
> paper/tutorial "Developing With Apache Avalon". Inside this paper it is
> favored very much over the standard ComponentManager. There are two full
> pages ("Making the Configuration Pretty") only about the advantages of the
> ExcaliburComponentManager!!!

And those advantages will remain in the new version.  I am attempting to
have all the strengths of the ECM and remove as many of its weaknesses
as I possibly can.

> I am puzzled.
>
> Could a kind soul please tell me what to use instead?

I am sorry you got alarmed by the email that spawned your concerns.
The writer was addressing some of his concerns, and made some statements
sound like fact when they are his oppinion.  I will be addressing those
soon.

> Regards,
>
> Ole
>
> P.S.: If it is just the DefaultComponentManager in the same package as
>       the ExcaliburComponentManager everything is fine for me
>       (I just would like a short note) because both are the same.

The name DefaultComponentManager was deprecated because it conflicts
with the one in the framework jar.

Feel free to use the ECM for as long as you desire.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin