avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We go repackaging alpha stage excalibur packages?
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:37:56 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>  From: "Leo Sutic" <leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com>
>
>>Was there any concensus on what to do with
>>framework? Do we go with:
>>
>>org.apache.avalon.framework
>>org.apache.avalon
>>org.apache.framework
>

> Then, why not rename Avalon to .  ?
> Yeah, let's take out the name Avalon alltogether!
>
> Sorry if I intervene here, but as a heavy avalon user, I would like to
> remind all that we are dead tired of changing package names.
>
> org.apache.avalon.framework is ok, or does making it shorter improve the
> code? :-P
>
> Sorry, but these changes are quite frustrating and unnecessary...

Nothing released will be changed.  Framework will not migrate until a
major version change.  That major version change will get rid of cruft
(deprecated packages) and hopefully have something else that compells
you to want to use it.  But we will still maintain the 4.x series until
we feel ready to let go (which will be after a 5.0 release).  We are
not all in agreement on what should go into a 5.0 release, and so
it will be a nice long while.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin