avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <mong...@mongrel.homechoice.co.uk>
Subject Interface and impl separation - general standard
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:49:03 GMT
Folks,

We have classes JaxenProcessorImpl & XPathProcessorImpl that implement
XPathProcessor.  All three are all in the same package.  Although this
undoubtedly works, it makes it difficult to have interfaces in one jar
and impl in another (if using package sealing).

I think we should genrally choose a policy of having new all interfaces
and impl seperated in packages.
I also think we should be in the habit of jarring as follows :
  excalibur-thing-interfaces-1.0.jar (2K)
  excalibur-thing-impl-1.0.jar (8K)
  excalibur-thing-1.0.jar (10K)

This allows others to have K/CAPI/HC seperation in their container if
that is appropriate.

I do not think it will be possible to revisit existing (published and in
use) code to seperate in this way.

Regards,

- Paul H