avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Altrmi} Thoughts
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:03:24 GMT
Hi,

While ideas about altrmi are being gestated I would like to throw out some of
mine. Note that this is probably not something that I can devote anytime to
now but it is something I would find useful in long term.

Basically I would like a simple API for making invocations on objects. It
should not be tied to any particular Object model or any transport layer (as
a matter of fact it sits right in between).

I have attached a zip with the files in it that describe the API. Basically
there is 4 parts.

* Invocation: represents the call
* InvocationContext: represents the context information like security id,
transaction id etc.
* Invoker: the thing that "executes" the Invocation - can be async or sync.
* InvocationListener: The call back when running async invocations to notify
that call has completed

The reason for this architecture is that it would allow you to reliably scale
up as you are no longer tied to the single-thread per call model and all
sorts of goodies become apparent.

Anyways I just thought I would drop a few thoughts :)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald