avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Vinay Chandran <vinay...@yahoo.com>
Subject [Altrmi} Thoughts
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:47:51 GMT
Hi,

Needed some inputs on the following topics within
AltRMI :-

<1 topic="Method Invocation" >
 We have method signature(string) being passed from
the client to the server for
 carrying out the invocation of a  specific method on
the server.
 How about replacing it with a int value ,which is
nothing but a index to a method array maintained
 on the server for that specific remote object & thus
in the process removing the string comparisons
 involved ?

Comments ??
</1>

<2 topic="Pass-by-Reference & Pass-by-value decision "

 Right now CallbackEnabled client stream treats ALL of
its arguments , which are interfaces ,
 as pass-by-reference entities and transports its stub
instead of passing it by value(serializing) to the
server.
 We might need to employ some means to indicate an
argument as either Pass-By-Reference or  POV
 entity in the arguments.

 We can do something like:
 callBackTestListenerImpl = new
CallBackTestListenerImpl(2);

 //pass-by-value ..serialized across..this is the
default
 addCallBackListener(callBackTestListenerImpl);

 //pass-by-reference .callbacks can be made on this
reference by the server
 addCallBackListener(new
PassReference(callBackTestListenerImpl));

                    ===or===

 We can use something like RMI's  exportObject(..)
 Therefore:
  CallBackTestListenerImpl callBackTestListenerImpl_1
= new CallBackTestListenerImpl(2);
  CallBackTestListenerImpl callBackTestListenerImpl_2
= new CallBackTestListenerImpl(2);
  //This specific reference will be passed by  value
when its passed on to the server as an argument
  AltrmiHost.exposeObject(callBackTestListenerImpl_2);

addCallBackListener(callBackTestListenerImpl_1);//pass-by-value
.serialized across

addCallBackListener(callBackTestListenerImpl_2);//pass-by-reference
..

Comments?

</2>

Regards,