avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: excalibur building
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:32:40 GMT
On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 12:27:20PM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Guys, I am sorry to say but building the current excalibur is really a
> PITA. I know it works if one uses ant and includes junit into the
> classpath. But since this cannot be the way I'm now digging through the
> build system for about 2 hours - not seeing a light at the end of the
> tunnel...

:/ You should have spoken up sooner. Please post the logs, and
preferably (to me privately) the full logs for 'ant -verbose'. You do
have a clean classpath, don't you?

> wondering about the junit dependency if one don't want to build test cases
> at all,

Actually, the junit test compilation step IS separated out (following
Carsten's suggestion last week), and junit shouldn't be needed for a
normal build.  Nor is it if you build each subproject on it's own, but
if you build from the root, the junit.jar dep somehow creeps in. Very
weird.. possibly an Ant bug. Can be illustrated with 'ant -verbose -f
depchecker.xml checkFramework', and examining the "complete build
sequence", which includes checkJUnit even though checkFramework has no
deps. I'm trying to trace it now.

> seeing ant not finding logkit although it should be at the exact
> position...

I need logs then. Which component? What is the error?

> maybe I am just blind and/or stupid - but at least I am frustrated...
>
> shouldn't it be much more than grabbing a cvs copy and a "build" in each
> root dir?

It should be. If it's not, it's a bug. If it's a bug, we need good
bugreports to fix it :)

--Jeff