avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Excalibur stratification (was Re: Status of Excalibur build)
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:02:52 GMT
The purpose of the breakup was simply to allow certain components to be
used separately. That aim has been achieved; there are now 13
subprojects with *no* dependencies, and 4 or so more with deps on just
Framework/LogKit.

Most current users (like Cocoon) probably don't care about all this, and
can continue to use the standard avalon-excalibur.jar that is built by
typing 'ant' in the root.

So we have now offer flexibility (hordes of little jars) and convenience
(one big jar).

I agree that it's a PITA keeping track of dependencies between lots of
little jars. I think we need a way of sucking in all deps for one
project into one big jar. So if you want, say, datasource, you can have
a jar containing datasource, pool, collections and instrument.
Suggestions for how to do this are welcome.

--Jeff