avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject Re: ComponentSelectors, finding out available selectables ?
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:15:12 GMT
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 10:37:47AM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Marcus Crafter wrote:
> >
> >	Quick question, I'm wondering if there is any way to be able to
> >	dynamically find out all the possible selectables within a component
> >	selector?
>
> No there isn't

	ok.

> >	From the API this doesn't look like it's possible - if so, was there
> >	a reason not to	provide this functionality, or hasn't it brought
> >	up till now ?
>
> It hasn't been brought up till now.  Generally, the logic for which
> component to return should be in the Container, not the client.  As a
> result, you either work with a known system (ala Cocoon), or you have
> a really smart container (ala Phoenix).
>
> What is the problem you want to solve with this apprach?

	I'd like to be able to offer the user a choice of options in some
	situations.

	For example, in our application, the user can select which database
	they can log into. Previously on our login page we had a list of
	databases that they could choose from.

	I've since integrated the Avalon excalibur data sources into our
	application and would like to do the same, ie. supply the user with a
	list of configured databases at login time based on what's been
	specified between the <datasources>...</datasources> section
	of our config file.

	I was hoping there might have been a way to get a list of configured
	datasources from the DataSourceSelector, which I could iterate
	over when creating the login page.

	There are a few other cases, but the idea is the same - find out
	what's been configured so the user can choose.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: